Monday, June 22, 2009

JUST A SIMPLE LID, Please.

Am I a petty guy just because I want to buy a cup of coffee with a solid lid – with no hole in it -- that stops it from spilling?

And what the heck does this have to do with smart public relations?

Well, let me tell you the story. It seems this happens to me mostly in airports, but it could happen anywhere.

You go to Starbucks, or any one of the others. You have a suitcase and a briefcase to carry -- and you get handed an aroma-packed tall paper cup of coffee with a lid that has a sipping hole. So you can't put it in a bag, obviously. You need a full hand to carry it. "

Do you have a lid without a hole in it ?" I ask. Of course, 90 percent of the time the answer is "no!" So then I ask, "Do you have a tape I can put over the hole so I can put this in a bag and don't have to carry my briefcase and suitcase in one hand?" You know the answer. And so now I think twice, particularly at airports, about buying the cup of coffee I so desperately want. And then there's the brewmeister's attitudes when I make my request. They don't care. How can they not get it?

Flat lids without holes could not be more expensive than the "holy ones." Are they? I refuse to be vanquished on this one. Isn't this basic customer satisfaction? Good public relations? Even if I am in a minority, it seems so logical to at least provide a choice.

Technorati Tags: coffee, Starbucks, Makovsky + Company, communications, public relations

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt if a lid without a hole would solve anything. How can you place a coffee cup in a bag without the danger of the lid popping off, regardless of hole situation.

At any rate, I think you need a different solution. I submit to you:

1) bring a thermos. Then you can transfer your beverage to a water-tight container that will keep it nice and hot until you can but down your bags and enjoy.

2) this cup holder that fits between the upright handles of most suitcases http://www.goodtugo.com/

Good luck with your traveling coffee endeavors!

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Ben Rasmusen said...

I saw this product awhile ago:

http://www.goodtugo.com/

I've never used it, but it might be useful for the situation you describe. I'm not sure if you use the type of rolling bag required to make this work.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:00:00 AM  
Blogger emakovsky said...

Send this blog link to the President of Starbucks. Makes sense to me.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Kelli Matthews said...

Hi Ken,

I work with tugo, the product that two of your (very astute) commenters recommended. We'd love to send you one to try. Just send your mailing address and we'll get it out to you ASAP.

Kelli
kelli@vervenorthwest.com

Sunday, July 05, 2009 10:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home