Monday, December 18, 2006

The Future: It Ain’t What It Used to Be

It’s that time of the year again. Time for the philosophical musings of media pundits and the inevitable end-of-year wrap-ups. I confess — I simply can’t resist them. We’re all wondering about what will happen in 2007. Not only am I thinking about Makovsky + Company, the futures of our amazing staff, and the public relations business, but I’m also thinking about my family, our country and, indeed, the entire world.

But if you don’t take all this too seriously and want to look on the lighter side of the equation, there is Yogi Berra, the Zen philosopher of baseball. Born (like me) in St. Louis, Missouri, he was a wildly talented Major League catcher, three-time Most Valuable Player and one of only six managers to lead both American and National League teams to the World Series. Yogi was well known for his humorous and colorful way with words. Here are some of his philosophies which you might want to chew on as ’07 approaches:

•“When you arrive at a fork in the road, take it.”

•“In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.”

•“You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.”

•“You got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.”

And one of my particular favorites…

•“The future ain’t what it used to be.”

1 Comments:

Blogger Robbin Goodman said...

I can certainly relate. "When you arrive at a fork in the road, take it" is my personal motto.

Robbin

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 11:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home